Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Lifting Burdens"

Hi Everyone!!!

I hope you are all having a great Tuesday! How is the Halloween season? Please send me pictures if you think of it!

My Chinese name is Leùhng (said like "learn" with a low falling tone.) It means grain. When I introduce myself I say, Ngóh hain Leuhng jí muih.

I want to be sure I tell you about our lesson yesterday. Our teacher is playing an investigator named Sorren. We've been struggling to teach him for the past few lessons because he wants so bad to do God's will, but doesn't want to ask for anything in his prayers. It's frustrating because we can teach him everything, but it does no good if he is not praying to find out for himself if it's true. That is so important!! Finally on Saturday we figured out what part of his concern was and decided to teach him again about the atonement. Sister L. had the great idea to show him a MormonMessage video called "Lifting Burdens" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coef8G5ax6E It's really good, you should watch it. We watched it and his attitude changed. He said he felt good and really liked it, and he wasn't asking as many hard questions as before. Most importantly he said he would pray about it!!! Wow! This really strengthened my testimony of the atonement. Not only did Christ suffer and die so that I can be forgiven of my imperfections, He suffered so he can know exactly what I am going through during any trial I face. This makes it so much easier for me to trust that trials are for my good and that I will never be given more than I can handle, because He knows how it feels! I also think it's cool that Heavenly Father realizes we're human and that we learn in different ways, that's why there are videos and pamphlets and books. He want's to make it as easy as possible for us to understand His gospel! He really loves us!

Crazy thoughts! We have 34 days until HK! That's 1 month and 3 days!! Our younger district comes to the MTC tomorrow. Apparently 3 of the elders are from outside of the US! The new sisters get to live with us too!! Sister R., one of my roommates from spring term, is in the MTC!!!! It's soooo fun to see her!

Elder Scott spoke at the devotional last Tuesday, it was incredible! He talked about recognizing the Spirit. I was really touched by the fact that most of his talk consisted of him reading scriptures and asking different missionaries what they thought. He really trusts us and our calling. For these next 18-24 months we are the Lord's representatives too, and he realized how much we could teach ourselves with the scriptures!

I hope you have a great week and a Happy Halloween! Yikes! October is almost over! This is the BEST place I could be right now!

Ngóh ngói Leíh deih (I Love ya’ll)
Leùhng jí múih (Sister Nelson)

No comments: