Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mangoes and Shrimp!

Barbara's note:  Kasey's Birthday is on August 9. If you would like to send a birthday message to her, comment here or send me an email (knelsonb@sbcglobal.net) and I will send the message to her. If you would like to send a card, her mailing address is:

Sister Kasey Nelson
China Hong Kong Mission
18 Dorset Crescent
KowloonTong
Kowloon
Hong Kong

Sending a card or a letter requires $1.05 in postage.  I know that she would love to hear from everyone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Barbara


Hello Everyone!
hmmmm. . . That sounds familiar busy, but good. Usually by the end of the day I can't give a solid report on what happened that day. Considering I haven't had a ton of journal time either, I'm hoping at least the very important things make it into e-mails pictures or paper!

We have a summer missionary!!! I am soooo excited!! Her name is Sister M. I already know her! She is from Kwun Tong and would help the Kwun Tong Sisters a lot so I would sometimes run into her while I was serving in TKO. She is ADORABLE!!!! Yesterday we had a packed schedule we went Sha Tin to Ma On Shan back to Tai Wai then BACK to Ma On Shan and back to Tai Wai again. Not the most effective as far as travel goes, but it was one of those days where there was no way around it. While we were planning we scheduled a few places where we could hopefully do personal study. Yesterday when we met, she was very concerned because she hadn't had time to do personal study but said she read a few verses while she was eating! Wow!! I'm already learning from her example and obedience so much!!! She is almost 20 and is working 2 jobs. A lot of the reason is so she can save money to go on a mission herself. We scheduled to meet her at 11:45 this afternoon and couldn't find her for about 30 minutes because she was talking to a popoh about the gospel and didn't hear her phone!!!! I love her!!!
NGM had her baptismal interview yesterday. She wanted us there for it, which usually doesn't happen. Since we already had to have the interview at her house, our district leader said it was fine. It was neat to hear her testimony. It's very simple and she mixed up the law of chastity and word of wisdom, but I know she loves Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and her family and she is trying to continue doing good things. I'm so excited for her! Her baptism is next Sunday!!!

Last week I got a strange rash. It started as a few red bumps around my lips on Sunday afternoon and then spread across my cheeks and up to my forehead. It actually never looked too bad, but man it ITCHED!!!!!! I ended up buying an ice pack on Tuesday to help soothe it. I think I might be allergic to mangos because members fed us quite a few mangos throughout the weekend, or maybe one of them wasn't quite ripe. I don't know. Sister Kelly and Elder Passey had similar things on their arms and legs. I heard a good deal of Chinese remedies. Tuesday morning, a member opened a little container (like you would use for mints) of rock salt and had me eat 6 grains (is that the right word, Cantonese is "lahp"), and then drink lots of water to flush my system. That afternoon we taught G. and Sister L. was with us. They spent a good 20 minutes fussing over me, calling Dr. N (NGM's daughter- in-law) to set an appointment, telling me I needed to wash my face with vinegar and then with potatoes. Finally G. offered to take me to a pharmacy and have the pharmacist look at it. Luckily, before I could get myself into any more mess, Sister Hawks returned my call. She told me to use hydrocortisone and not put anything else on it and take Benadryl at night. I decided to trust her and Sister Castleton's wisdom!! Sister Castleton is the mission nurse. Chinese people have this theory called "Yiht Hei" or "hot air." Someone explained it to me at FHE on Sunday. They believe that everyone one has an inner fire and some foods will fuel the fire and some will make it colder. It's important to keep a balance. For example "li chi," mangos and a lot of junk food are "yiht hei." If you eat too much yiht hei you are more likely to gain weight or break out or have acne. They even have what is called "leugn cha" "cool tea." It's Chinese medicine that reduces yiht hei. (It doesn't taste that bad and is not against the Word of Wisdom so sometimes I'll get one after a chang out). Apparently the combination of mangos and shrimp is especially bad, so I had a lot of people ask me if I had eaten them together. I think the most useful advice from a Hong Kong person came at the same FHE when Elder Wong got the bishop's son who is a doctor to come over and look at my face and then gave me some Benadryl that he happened to have. (I was glad to have the Benadryl until I could buy some!)

Oh Wow! Time is flying I have 7 minutes!! Today we went to see the Picasso Exhibit at the Hong Kong Heritage Museum. The tickets were sold out again, but we realized that a half-year museum pass was only 30HK more than the Picasso exhibit ticket and would get us into any museum in HK until January. I think the $6 US was worth it just for today! We also looked at an exhibit about Cantonese Opera. It said something about a troop being in Chicago! Maybe we can see a Cantonese Opera sometime!   

Ok your questions:
1 - How is the weather? It has been hot here, but are you able to stay cool when you are inside?
It's getting hot!!!!! Usually we're at the church, or in the MTR or bus, all of which have AC, so it's not too bad. We have 2 hours of AC besides sleeping time in our apartment, since we're usually not home for studies in the morning; it's nice to have it when we get home at night.
2 - Are the church buildings air conditioned?
Yes thank goodness. People often bring sweaters or shawls to church!

I love you!!!!
Kasey

No comments: