Thursday, July 5, 2012

There were a TON of monkeys on top of the Sha Tin Chapel on Monday!

Hello!

I just read the e-mail statement for our support cards. They send us one each week with a balance that is at least a week old. One transaction said "HASE/TAI PO MARKET MTR O" people here pronounce their F's "effu" and their R's "arro" so MTR is said MTRO but I had no idea they would actually write it in!!! h hahaha

This week I feel like has been crazy, but it all is a blur and I can't figure out exactly why it was so crazy.

On Sunday I had the opportunity to bear my testimony in our Sha Tin ward. As I got up, Elder Wong, the area Seventy that is in the ward whispered "just share your testimony." I was grateful because that is all I can effectively do in Cantonese. I choked up a bit as I told these members that I know Heavenly Father lives and loves us and this is why we have this gospel. This is why He sent Jesus Christ to suffer for us so that we can be forgiven of our sins and be worthy to return to Him. This is why he calls prophets and through Joseph Smith restored this church and the Book of Mormon so that we could have guidance to know how to do God's will and keep His commandments and apply the teachings of Christ in our lives. I know these things are true and that's why I am a missionary. It was simple but as I was speaking I felt a strong love for these people and a desire to work even harder so that I can gain their trust so we can work together to bring others unto Christ.

I talked to A., from my previous area the other day. She said Y. has a baptismal date for the 22 of July and that the two of them are planning to go to the temple after that to do baptisms together!! I am sooooo excited!

We met the new mission president yesterday. He was at a meeting with Elder Gong, a regional general authority and was a bit late. We all got there 5 minutes early and were sitting ready to go for a good 10 minutes. It was so funny how stressed out everyone seemed. President Hawks is good. We each had to stand and introduce ourselves (2 minute introduction) it was weird and a bit awkward because the normal introduction things (what I like to do, my major, what kind of career I want) feel like they apply less and less to me the more I am on a mission, and it would please me to say, "I am Sister Nelson, I was "born" in TKO, and now live in Tolo Harbor. I am a missionary. My favorite thing to do is missionary work. I think I used to live in America and might have gone to College, but I kind of forget what that was like. . ." Ok it's not that bad, missionaries aren't robots but being a missionary is really who I am right now and it is AWESOME!!! Anyway, President and Sister Hawks seem great. President Hawks comes across pretty strict and I was a bit intimidated as he talked to the group of us, but we had one minute interviews after the meeting and I was amazed at how personable the interview felt even though it was just a minute long. He said somethings that really helped me.

Um. . . on a silly note there were a TON of monkeys on top of the Sha Tin Chapel on Monday!

Questions:
1 - Two weeks ago you said, "I'm almost definitely staying, otherwise Sister K. would be off-white washing a 3 ward area!!!" What does that mean?
Well, white-washing is having a companionship where both companions are brand new to the area. I called it off-white becase she would have only been there a week and have to lead the area.

2 - Did the missionaries do anything to celebrate Independence Day?
We said the pledge and sang the National anthem. Sister K. wore patriotic colors. I decided my outfit, though cute, a bit tooo patriotic for meeting the mission president. Especially since he's American. We also sang patriotic hymns for companion study yesterday and today. It's been weird to sing in English because I can use harmony!!!!

I am always so happy to hear about everything going on! I am also so happy to hear that Nathanael survived the bike trip with energy to spare! I've been praying! Kelli's quilt looks cute!! Are ya'll going on vacation this summer? I forgot what you said your plans were.

I don't say this enough, but thank you for your sacrifices so I can be here. People ask us all the time how we live since we don't have a salary and I am reminded of how much you are giving so I can be here. Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!! I know Heavenly Father will bless you so much for your sacrifice. This is the best thing I ever could have done and Dad said at the end of his e-mail that I will be grateful I did this. I already know it!!!

I love you all so much!
Kasey

No comments: