Thursday, September 27, 2012

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!!!

Hello Everyone!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh the day has come, I got a lovely phone call from President Hawks yesterday telling me my "dying date." While I was brushing my teeth, I heard Sister Lier in her office say, "Ah!! Can I extend a year?!!!!!!" Then I heard, "hold on just a minute I'll get her and then she came out, handed me the phone and whispered, "He wants to give you your dying date." Now if he wasn't the mission president I probably whould have hung up the ppnohe<<<< (just look at that I can't spell to save my life today!!)  He said something about church policy to tell missionaries their departure date a few months in advance. . . and that my departure date is March 8 and with church policy and the way the moves are, there are no other options. "Do you have any concerns?" Me: "Well, besides that being the end of my mission, no. . ." Yuck!!!! I don't like having my days numbered!!! Anyway, he said he tells us so we can tell our parents and then forget about it, and that's exactly what I plan to do. You've been told. The good news is, I'll be home just in time for Savanna's birthday!!!!

Coming out of this week I've been amazed (yet again) by the truth of the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 123:17 "Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."   It was an interesting week.  I have been amazed that even the most unpleasant or "hard” experiences are actually the ones that I am appreciating the most and will actually be some of my most precious experiences from my mission.  I have realized this week how bad Heavenly Father wants us to return to His presence and that he is going to give us every opportunity to do that. We just have to choose what we are going to do with those opportunities so that they really can change us and prepare us for the day that we can see Him again. That makes be realize I still have a lot of learning in store for me in my life because I'm nowhere near where I need to be if I want to make it to the Celestial Kingdom.

Sunday was ward conference in Tai Wai. We hadn't been to our Sha Tin ward for a while and I considered going on exchanges so we could cover both wards, but I felt like that wasn't necessary. I'm glad we didn't, it was a good conference and we had an investigator there!!! (She came in during the Sacrament, but she made it!) Halfway through the meeting, the Bishop was announcing the rest hymn and then said, "after the hymn the Stake President would like to invite "chyungaausih leung ji muih" (missionary Sister Nelson) to share a 5 minute message." Then he looked right at me. The ward clerk wheeled up next to our aisle in his wheelchair to double check that I had caught that part.  I was grateful to double check exactly when I was supposed to go up. Then he said, “geng mh geng a?" (are you scared?) I said "mh geng, daahn haid siu siu ganjeung!!!!" (not scared but a little nervous!!!) hahaha I was so grateful for the opportunity to share my testimony. This weekend was a little rough and I was doubting myself and my effectiveness as a missionary. It was just what I needed to express my testimony to these people who I love so much and to remind myself that I really truly believe these things that I'm teaching. It was also amazing to get up and just talk. Can you believe it? I've only been learning this language for a year and I can get up in front of a whole ward and share my thoughts and feelings without a problem. (The only word I remember not knowing was the word for "treasure" and I got around that easily!!)


I basically said, “I am so pleased to have the opportunity to share my testimony today.  I’ve been serving in Tai Wai for quite a while.  I’m grateful for your service and your example.  I’ve been thinking a lot this week about what this gospel means to me because I am a missionary and share about it everyday, so I definitely need to know why this gospel is important to me.  I think it comes down to one thing:  We are God’s children and He loves us so much.  Because He loves us He gave us His Son Jesus Christ.  All of us are imperfect, but because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can repent everyday, take the sacrament and have a new start.  Because He suffered for us He understands our trials and can help and comfort us.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and I am very grateful that we always have this friend there to help us.  Because Heavenly Father loves us, He uses many ways to tell us about the gospel of Jesus Christ so we can apply the Atonement in our lives.  One of these ways is scriptures (I picked up a Book of Mormon).  This is a very precious book.  I know that it is true.  I know that with God’s power Joseph Smith translated this book so we can have Christ’s full gospel.  Eventhough it was written by ancient prophets, these words can still help and bless us today.  I encourage you all to read the Book of Mormon everyday.  I know if you do you will have more power in your lives.  The last thing I want to talk about it prayer.  Prayer is so powerful.  Through prayer Heavenly Father can give us very specific direction for our lives.  I know Heavenly Father hears our prayers.  I am so grateful for this opportunity to be a missionary.  Remember Heavenly Father loves you, I know this because my love for you is very big, so I can’t imagine how great Heavenly Father’s love is for you.

We've still been doing a lot of finding lately in the area books, on the street and through less-active members. Although I really REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to teach new investigators and find a family that we can help receive the gospel and prepare for the temple, it has been interesting and enjoyable to meet so many new people. We even met a lady from Japan the other day.

Question:
1 - Are you learning to cook Chinese food? I hope so!!!
I'm trying! What it ends up being is throw things in a wok and hope it comes out. I'll eat it! We'll see if you will!! I'm trying to collect recipes and I hope that Sister Lin will help me translate a few of them.  I figure most things won't be too hard to find online when I get back. I made dessert soup the other day!! It was yummy!!!

Yikes!! I better go!!! I love you all soooooo much and I love hearing about your weeks!!! Happy Mid-Autmn festival!!! (it's on Saturday!!!) Eat moon cake! (That's what they do for it here!!)

I love you!!!

Sister Nelson

No comments: